Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

Quoting Dave Morgan <morgadave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

most of the disk failures in our office happened overnight, during the winter
(I used to run the a/c at 19 degrees). I have since turned the temp up
to 23 and
no disk problems since - but 5 motherboard failures on my IBM
workstations due to blown electrolyics around the CPU (all went in an
18 month period at between 3.5 and 5 years old)!

Dave

That's interesting about the drive failures, I'd have thought they would have a lower minimum working temperature than that (okay not say -40 degrees, but I'd have thought it would be higher).

There is a recently published Google study of their disk failure modes, and they found that running them hot was better for them in the long-run...

I know that one data robot storage company do this too with a speed/temperature controlled fan..

Gordon