Re: [LUG] RAM details

Quoting Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Is there any way to find out the amount of RAM on my computer and
possibly the type of RAM chip? I mean without opening up the box and
looking.

There are bash commands which give lots of info about your machine, but
I have not yet noticed one about RAM. Or have I just missed it?

Thanks

Neil

Try Memtest86, you should find it on distro installation CDs such as Ubuntu, and maybe other Linux live CDs such as Knoppix and System Rescue CD (I'm guessing). It's also available to download as an ISO to burn to CD or floppy image, I belive the site is www.memtest86.org

Running Memtest should give you details of how much memory you have and also what speed and type it is (SDR/DDR/DDR2/DDR3 etc).

There may be other system information applications available, I can't think of any off the top of my head though and it's been a while since I've poked around in /proc, you may be able to get some information from /proc possibly by just viewing the files. For instance you can get the CPU information by running the following from a terminal...

less /proc/cpuinfo

Hope this helps.

Rob