Re: [LUG] possibly OT dvd won't play

On 27/01/10 23:59, Julian Hall wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
There is libdvdnav4, libdvdread4 and libdvdcss2, at least on Ubuntu
9.10. I believe libdvdcss2 is in the Medibuntu repositories and
possibly required for commercial DVDs to decrypt them for playback.

Medibuntu can be found here: http://www.medibuntu.org/

It may also be worth adding kubuntu-restricted-extras

I believe the kubuntu-restricted-extras (or xubuntu-restricted-extras
for Xubuntu, and ubuntu-restricted-extras for Ubuntu) have some extra
codecs for GStreamer to play things like DVDs.

Rob
It could also be nothing to do with the OS, but the hardware instead.
Some DVD drives are finicky about what discs they will read. Also it
might be one of the bigger movie companies such as Sony-Time Warner who
use different dyes and/or mess around protecting their discs in the
misguided belief that anyone playing them on a computer is a criminal.

Yes; my laptop will play many more DVDs than my wife's laptop. Admittedly, I run kubuntu whilst she runs Windows Vista, but it sounds like the drive is having a really hard time of it, even on apparently "perfect" brand-new DVDs.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++0x thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk