Re: [LUG] Exeter Uni hit by Vista virus

Quoting tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Rob Beard wrote:

It may be different with other organisations, maybe some organisations can afford to have down time, or do things differently. In the case of one of my current customers, they have a couple of spare PCs, and in total they have only about 8 PCs, so it's no major problem to just do one PC at a time, and if a PC fails they have a spare to use.
But MS low cost of ownership relies on you updating all pcs
automatically from the servers - doing what you described above
probably puts 2manhrs per pc labour onto the job.
Tom te tom te tom

My customer finds it cheaper to get me to do the updates for them manually rather than having it done automatically by a Microsoft server. Especially when they've been quoted (by Microsoft I should add) in the region of about £5000 for licences and software, that's not including server costs.

Rob