Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 16:10 +0000, tom wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > I should have been clearer, it is mainly the permissions system
which
> > throws them.
> I know how to use a computer but I know nothing about security and
> permissions:=
> I know how to drive a car but I dont know how to use the brakes or
the
> steering  and I've got a screensaver over that big window at the
front....
But Neil's point is good - it took me a while to work out what
permissions were and how to deal with them and I have a Ph.D. and a good
grounding in Maths and Physics and have done a bit of programming (in
the 60s and 70s), so unless a newcomer has read about permsiions or been
told about them, they won't know until they find out that they don't
have permission. It took me a while to realise that if I plugged in a
device before I booted, it would mount with root as owner.

James
PS This is my second go at replying. The first was returned. I got

  list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
TO:<list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
    host arc.a-squared.co.uk [69.61.72.116]: 550 Unknown user

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk