Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

On Tuesday 19 January 2010, John Hansen wrote:
> On 19/01/2010 17:31, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > There have been several emails about getting more people to move over to
> >   Linux. I have recently installed Linux on a laptop for my brother who
> > wanted to try it. I have also talked about the move across to several
> > friends. May I add my two pennyworth?

>snip
>
> Neil,
>
> I think you hit the nail on the head! There are far too many options and
> the file system leaves me cold.
> I like my A,B,C,D,E,F drives! Why OH why does Linux need to make every
> thing so complicated?
>
> I would have thought the two types of Linux would suffice i.e. Gnome and
> KDE. the motto being:
> KISS (keep it simple stupid).
>
> John W Hansen (who uses both Windows XP and Kubuntu)

I can't agree John.  The last windows I used with any regularity was XP which
started to ram itself down your throat as you tried to do things.  I now look
at a friends Vista and the the thing is a complicated mess.  The only way
that they can use it is by learning things by rote.  I can only do anything
useful with it by digging out windows explorer and having a look at the
structure. Generally there is no basic understanding and that is what gives
us a problem when selling Linux.

You liked your A, B, C drives; how is that easier than a home directory plus a
dvd and floppy drives? (When did you last use your A drive/floppy?)  How does
a USB drive coming up as drive G work out as easier than "Kingston" which is
written all over the drive?

Older users in general (including me) only know how to use part of the
technology they own but, for instance, they still want the latest phone or
TV.  We have to be educated or take the trouble to find out for our selves,
and the older you get the less inclined you are to learn new things (I'm
great at generalisations).  It's tough going getting someone like that to
change or even take an interest.  I've only managed it once and she is a
solicitor who now uses Microsoft at work and PCLinuxOS at home.  In 3 years
she has done updates and I haven't had to touch the Linux.

Kids are different.  They will soak it up, if in the mood, but if they don't
see it as cool or it's different from their mates then forget it.  But they
are the way forward and should be our main target IMHO.

My oldest son, who went to Plymouth Uni and now works for Vodaphone says "No
way, I live in the real world".  I've given up on him. At 46 it's too much
hassle in a busy life.  Unless he has to do it as part of the job.  But if
I'm around when his 2 daughters are about 12 or even before then I'll give it
a go.  A nice little netbook to start off with I think..........now what
distro.......

George