Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

Even my college agrees and has installed Firefox across the whole network.

2010/1/19 Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> There have been several emails about getting more people to move over to
>  Linux. I have recently installed Linux on a laptop for my brother who
> wanted to try it. I have also talked about the move across to several
> friends. May I add my two pennyworth?
>
> Anyone who has used Windows up to now needs some kind of incentive to
> try Linux. This could be curiosity, saving costs, security etc. But they
> also need a lot of help in the early stages. It is no good installing it
> for them and leaving them to it. They will all too easily give up and go
> back to the OS they are used to.
>
> So, from my experience, what scares and worries Windows users about
> moving to Linux? There seem to be several things.
>
> Linux has so many versions (distros). Distrowatch lists 100 and there
> are more. To us that may seem like a strength but actually it is a
> weakness. For most people Windows has just three choices, XP, Vista and
> now Windows 7. That is already more than enough to worry about. Even
> when I said that there were perhaps about 20 strong contenders that was
> still scary.
>
> Most Windows users acquire their computer with the OS already installed.
> The thought of having to install it was again really scary. Of course,
> we would not expect anyone to do it the first time without help, but
> even so ...... And I did not even mention partitions and dual booting.
>
> Learning about a different layout for files and folders on the hard
> disk. Again, they all looked a bit worried and puzzled. The main
> question was why?
>
> The user system was again a big problem. Learning about root, users and
> their passwords, groups, the home folder etc. Wow. Scary again.
>
> Installing new packages. Well on Windows, I think, you either download
> the exe file and double click on it or put the relevant CD/DVD in the
> drive, wait for the install button to appear and click on it. On Linux I
> could have mentioned apt-get, synaptic, adept, deb files, repositories,
> RPM files, dependencies, well you get the idea.
>
> Conclusions
>
> Perhaps I have been talking to the wrong people but here are my suggestions.
>
> Need for an incentive to move.
> Much help and hand holding required.
> This help will sometimes need to be available for some time.
> This will all require some organisation and co-ordination. No point in
> going at it piecemeal or haphazardly.
> So, a lot of work and planning and preparation I think.
>
> Sorry to be so long winded but this is important. We must get it right.
> If we get it wrong not only will they give up and go back to Windows,
> they will also tell all their friends!!
>
> Any thoughts and comments gratefully received
>
> Neil Winchurst

Looking at the bbc text service

on friday germany suggested people used something other than IE
I was reading today and france has followed suit.

Ms claim MS IE 8 is the most secure ever and people should upgrade,  I
agree upgrade to something other than IE however.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details