Re: [LUG] Bespoke or off the shelf rented hardware (Was Re: Cornwall Colocation)

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 13:57 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Kai,
>
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:20:36AM +0000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> > 2010/1/16 James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > And if you need some sort of bespoke hardware setup?
> >
> > Can you please give me an example of a bespoke hardware configuration
> > that is reason enough?
>
> Broadly I agree with you, but dedicated server rental offerings are
> normally targeted at the biggest segment of the market.  If you fall
> outside this segment then the prices get worse -- it tends to cost a
> lot to have a lot of RAM or disk space, or out of the ordinary disk
> configurations, if they are even supported.
>
> I think the future lies in modifying applications to run from a
> generic cloud platform that just supplies units of CPU, disk and
> network.  The cloud platform need not be provided by a third party,
> but of course that is one market that is currently taking off.
>
> In the meantime though if you don't fit in the mainstream I think
> it's a lot more likely that buying your own hardware is the most
> cost-effective way.

Just bear in mind that if it's in the cloud it will not be (and in my
opinion can never be based on the current standards) PCI-DSS compliant
unless you own the cloud and have ensured that your cloud is PCI
compliant.

Kind regards,

Matt