Re: [LUG] Cornwall Colocation

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, James Fidell wrote:

Kai Hendry wrote:
2010/1/16 James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
And if you need some sort of bespoke hardware setup?

Can you please give me an example of a bespoke hardware configuration
that is reason enough?

There must be hundreds, but since Gordon was a contributor to this
thread, let's say you need to have some specific VoIP<->PSTN gateway
hardware compatible with kit you have at other sites.  You *might* be
able to find someone who would provision it on a rental basis, but
they'd more than likely want an arm and a leg to do so and have no local
familiarity with the kit in question.  If you wanted to rent the same
hardware at multiple sites it becomes even more difficult.

I put my own servers in a co-lo because ... Hm. Well, probably because that's the way I've always done it. I've had a hosted server with someone or other since about 1996, and it wasn't until about 2002 that I had a client who wanted 2 servers running a custom application hosting that I expanded a little, and have gradully grown from there. I host for a couple of web design companies, so as well as a host, I act as a sort of "Internet Consultant" when they need to know about something they're not familair with - also for some small companies who want specific applications and servers providing, and there is one company I simply provide an ethernet connection (or 2) and power, a number of IP addresses and they look after them themselves.. I enjoy building my own servers too (although a few of the ones I host are off the shelf Dells - but that was the customers specification)

What it probably boils down to for me is control... I know the server is mine, I know the software running on it, etc.

I have been thinking about alternatives recently though, but one thing I mentioned recently was trust in the people who're running the data centre I host in, and their Internet provision. In the mid-90's I worked for what was at the time a biggish ISP in the UK and the guys in Sheffield were one of my customers, now I'm one of theirs!

I know I can get dirt-cheap shared server space elsewhere, but ....

It's not been without it's drawbacks though - because I have more than one server and several subnets now, the upstream wanted me to run my own routers, so now I have my own little corner to look after - and that comprises 2 routers (Linux based of-course), a serial port terminal server and a switch. (Both Cisco) I'm on my 2nd switch as the first failed (a DLink 24-port 10/100 unit) - that was the longest outage I've had (half an hour while the staff in the facility sources and loaned me a spare - fortunately it was round about 8pm, so not a busy time) and it was:

  drogonSwitch00>show version
  drogonSwitch00 uptime is 3 years, 38 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, 30 minutes

that long ago. Gosh, nearly 4 years. How time flies. I suppose ought to be looking for a replacement for that at some point too.

I also have the luxury of access to their APC power switch units, so I can power cycle a server if required. Some co-lo's don't have that, or charge extra... Of-course with Linux it's never needed, however ... There have been occasions when it's been handy... And while it is nice to have long uptimes - there's always the nagging doubt if you do have to reboot a server that's been up for a long time that it might not come back ... The worst I've had is the motherboard battery failling and it not knowing the right device to boot from.

You might also need to provide your own hardware if you have issues with
physical security and must demonstrate that you have made all reasonable
attempts to prevent anyone, including data centre staff, from getting
physical access to the hardware in a server.

You might also find that some/all data centres want to take the top off a box to have a look inside before they mount it in a rack, but it will depend on the relationship you have with the hosting centre and how security concious they may be.... I'll leave you to work out the details why, but if I were running a DC, I'd insist on seeing inside every box coming in...

Gordon