Re: [LUG] Cornwall Colocation

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Dominic Marks wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:15:52 -0000, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Dominic Marks wrote:

Hi List,

Are there any commercial colocation operations in Cornwall? (Near to Falmouth?) I couldn't find any via Google. In fact, the nearest thing I could find was Bristol. My existing London-based provider seems to have sold up to another company, so I'm looking for a backup plan, in case the new lot are rubbish!

This came up a while back - and I think there was one mentioned, but I can't remember it's name or location... Hm. searching, etc. and it might just be http://macace.net/ but I'm not sure if they actually host in Cornwall or are just based and have backup facilities there...

Hmm, Telehouse in London apparently. I believe that's where I currently "live".

http://macace.net/hosting/index.php

Indeed - They do make mention on Cornwall, but I suspect it's back-room hosting purely for their own backup purposes (which is a bit like what I do myself - under the stairs!)

There is SWISP in Exeter and plenty in Bristol (In the "Unicorn" pop, several companies e.g. HNS, Kingston, etc. who share the facilities will offer you bandwidth) and there are a few other "private" ones in Bristol too.

The few I found in Bristol were all uncompetitive on bandwidth, unfortunately. I'll have to look at SWISP, Thanks.

You probably won't find them competitive in any respects at all... At least that was my experience when I last had any dealings with them. (I ran a 10Mb pipe out of their data centre at one point and looked into hosting too, but that was some years back)

Check www.hns.net if you've not already done so. I've worked with them in the past, but the big issue outside London is bandwidth - all roads lead to London and getting there is expensive... However you may find the actual hosting costs less because floor rent is cheap, and some outside London still don't charge for power, although more are moving that way. In London bandwidth is effectively free, but you pay for electricity and space...

I host mostly in Sheffield, but that's mostly because I know & trust the guys that run it more than anything else. I have some stuff in another place in Bristol too, but they're a bit bandwidth limited for anything other than a backup.

I effectively pay for bandwidth in Sheffield, because their lines to London, Manchester and Bristol is probably their biggest expense, and although the place I use don't charge for power yet, it's only a matter of time, so I'm gradually placing my servers with low-power boxes, fanless if possible too.

Gordon