Re: [LUG] Mac Classic

dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have recently came into possession of a Mac Classic.
I'm going to try to tinker some more with it.
Does anyone know if Linux will run on it? (m68k version I assume)
If not, any *ux, or bsd? Cos it'd be nice to have something I can connect to - I may try to network the system using its serial port.

Cheers
Dan
Doing a bit of searching, you may be out of luck, depends which model and CPU it is. There is this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Classic

Which has a 68000 CPU at 8Mhz which won't work.

Or there is the Mac Classic II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Classic_II

Which has a 68030 CPU

Or the Macintosh SE/30 which also has a 68030 CPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_SE/30

I gather looking at the Debian page about it, it will run on a Mac with 68020 CPU or higher as long as it has an integrated MMU.

Otherwise you might be able to get it running on an Atari TT/030, Atari Falcon/030, Amiga 3000 or Amiga 4000, and possibly the Amiga 1200 (although I wouldn't be surprised if you needed some sort of memory expansion on the 1200).

Rob