Re: [LUG] BT internet problem..

Samuel Tarling wrote:
Hey everyone, a massively Linux unrelated problem, just wondering if
anyone can help
I've got BT broadband, meant to be getting 1MB, I normally get
~500kb/s but the last few days, on my XP and Linux machine, it has
gone down to ~15kb/s but the BT HomeHub is saying its still getting
900kb/s (pah, it would wouldn't it..)

Any help at all would be amazing, bearing in mind I've tried changing
WiFi channels...

Sam

Hi Sam,

Sometimes the non-technical is the answer. Has your download volume been especially high recently, if so you might have fallen foul of BT's AUP policy and be having your connection deliberately throttled. Unlikely if as you say the WAN side reckons it's OK, just thought I'd ask. I'm with Virginmedia on cable, and I know the two are totally different technologies[1], but advice from ISPs at least tends to be the same. My cablemodem has a sticker on top essentially saying 'If your connection drops power cycle the modem before calling us, as this often resolves the problem'.

Julian

[1]  I'd better having previously worked in TS for both :)