[LUG] Jaunty->Karmic upgrade gotcha

A couple of days ago I upgraded a server from Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) to Karmic (9.10)

All seemed to be well apart from vnc4server not working anymore (but that's an aside which I've not looked into yet).

I tried accessing one of my development mysql databases today to find that mysqld wasn't running. A "/etc/init.d/mysql restart" followed by a "tail /var/log/syslog" gave my this error message "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock".

After googling and a lot of messing around with permissions etc. (to cut a long story short), I renamed my "/etc/mysql/my.cnf" replacing it with "my.cnf.dpkg-dist" and started mysqld. It failed first time with an error about event scheduler tables being damaged but running
"/etc/init.d/mysql restart" straight afterwards got it going with no errors.

The only differences between the two "my.cnf"s were in my broken my.cnf which had these extra lines:

languageÂÂÂ = /usr/share/mysql/english
bind-addressÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ = 192.168.1.3ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ (my server's IP address. the fixed file uses 127.0.0.1)
thread_stackÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ = 128KÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ (the fixed file has 192K)
skip-bdb
skip-federated

Regs
Martin