Re: [LUG] Question..

Quoting Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:12:55 +0000
Neil Stone wrote:

I was going through an online examy/trainingy thing this evening and
was presented with this..

In a star topology, what happens when a workstation loses its physical
connection to another device?
A) The ring is broken, so no devices can communicate
B) Only that workstation loses its ability to communicate
C) That workstation and the device it's connected to lose
communication with the rest of the network.
D) No devices can communicate because there are now two unterminated
network segments

It is B.

I got it wrong with an answer of "C".. Can anyone explain to me why
this might be ??

In a star topology, each device is connected to a central point.  If
the physical connectivity between device A and the central point is
broken, connectivity for device B and C remains unaffected.

PRN--PC----LAN----PC--PRN

PRN--PC-  -LAN----PC--PRN

umm.. the printer and pc both loose network !!

That's not a star topology.  It looks more like a bus topology

A star topology would be:

       + HUB +

I thought that at first, but what if it's just a badly drawn diagram and the printers are connected to the PCs rather than direct to the network?

Thinking about it, yeah I'd raise a bug report as it's not very clear.

Maybe they mean it's a star topology but have put a diagram down as if it's connected via 10Base2 coax cable (in which case a break in the cable would mean nothing would work). Or it could be two machines are connected together via a crossover cable. Ahh I dunno, it's been a long morning already.

Rob