Re: [LUG] Question..

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Neil Stone wrote:

I was going through an online examy/trainingy thing this evening and was
presented with this..

In a star topology, what happens when a workstation loses its physical
connection to another device?
A) The ring is broken, so no devices can communicate
B) Only that workstation loses its ability to communicate
C) That workstation and the device it's connected to lose communication
with the rest of the network.
D) No devices can communicate because there are now two unterminated
network segments

I got it wrong with an answer of "C".. Can anyone explain to me why this
might be ??

I'd go B, but I think it's a crap question..

I suspect when they're talking 'star' and 'workstation' they mean switched Ethernet, so answer A is bogus, although I have built token ring networks that have physically appeared as a star back to a central hub - each 'leg' being a duplex cable and the hub could enabled a leg when the device on the leg sent a signal back to say it's was alive (actually by placing 5V on the wires to activate a relay in the hub!) That was *very* expensive token ring technology - it's no wonder it died a death.

D is bogus because it's a star.

C - Hm. In star, the only device it's connected to is the central hub/switch device, so talking about a device it's connected to, not mentioned in the question is what really makes me thing it's a bogus question.

PRN--PC----LAN----PC--PRN

PRN--PC-  -LAN----PC--PRN

umm.. the printer and pc both loose network !!

The question made no mention of a priner, so I'd not think about it for the answer..

halp !! (or should I log a bug report ?)

File a "this is a badly worded question" report...

Gordon