Re: [LUG] Question..

Neil Stone wrote:

> I was going through an online examy/trainingy thing this evening and was
> presented with this..
>
> In a star topology, what happens when a workstation loses its physical
> connection to another device?
> A) The ring is broken, so no devices can communicate
> B) Only that workstation loses its ability to communicate
> C) That workstation and the device it's connected to lose communication
> with the rest of the network.
> D) No devices can communicate because there are now two unterminated
> network segments
>
> I got it wrong with an answer of "C".. Can anyone explain to me why this
> might be ??

Semantics - they are using device to mean a host on the network.

I'd answer B - did they give a diagram or was that ASCII art from your
imagination? Context, context....

Star topology assumes that each device has one connection to a central
point.

Now if X loses connection to Y in a star, strictly speaking either X or
Y or both X & Y (and possibly more) may have left the star, and you
can't tell from the question which of these apply as far as I can see.