Re: [LUG] re video editing in Linux

On 01/08/2010 06:23 AM, Vivi Griffin wrote:
hi Viv,
      have been down that route myself, i find pclinux and mint to be the easiest to install on "dodgy" machines (and they are both good for multimedia) also a work around for a non booting machine is to use an external h/d to boot off, dont ask me why it works this way but thats the way i have gotten round it in the past.

When you say Ubuntu wouldn't install, did it come up with any error messages?  Is the CD okay?  Did you try checking the CD for errors on boot?

Same goes for PCLinuxOS (I'm assuming you can do a CD check on it).

You might also want to possibly try making a bootable USB stick and installing from that.

Rob

Hi Rob, I tried 2 different Ubuntu discs - one of which was from a Linux format mag. I must admit, I didn't check them. On advice from Bas, I will download the very latest PCLinuxOS and Minime isos and do checks on those discs before trying them. However, if I still have problems, I will try booting from a USB stick as you suggest.
thanks, Viv
hi Viv,  i font suppose its a sata h/d ? anyway, if it is when loading pclinuxos you will find you can "search" for the sata drive (second heading down, you will see what i mean),, wish you luck.

--
bas.