Re: [LUG] OT: [Fwd: Tech changes 'outstrip' netbooks]

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:14:47 +0000
tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Wait... You need Arm in order to boot into Linux? Wow... That told
> > me!
> Not quite! - Arm will run linux and use practically no power so you
> can have a Netbook you can carry around and not lurk by power sockets.

Sadly, Windows is still doing a better job of extending battery life
compared to GNU/Linux - as long as the device being tested is powerful
enough to run Windows in the first place. Mobile GNU/Linux can be very
very low power; standard desktop GNU/Linux is a bad choice but ends up
being compared in tests like this because Windows is "standard desktop"
and does a better job (currently). Choosing the wrong OS is not a good
start for comparative tests.

> Windows will not run on ARM - so (to answer Henry) don't expect it
> for 8 or 9 either.
> I've been watching MS closely for a long while and I'm convinced that
> Windows will NEVER run on ARM - I think its got so bloated (and badly
> managed) that they can never get it to run useably on ARM and call it
> windows.
> Which is why there is so much effort to stop Netbooks....

Umm, I'm positive that I replaced Windows Mobile on my old iPAQ with
GPE using openembedded for ARM and that was ARM, not armel. ARM is
so ancient that Debian dropped support with the Lenny release.

Windows has had ARM/armel support for years and years, it just isn't
desktop Windows.

The problem here is the same as with Debian:

***Mobile devices don't need a desktop OS!***

Windows (as in XP etc.) is the wrong choice for nearly every device
that could be ARM (more accurately armel). It's also the wrong choice
for netbooks IMHO.

It's a problem of the Windows monoculture - desktop Windows needs to be
stripped down to something a bit bigger than Windows Mobile but that
seems impossible and Windows Mobile isn't compatible with desktop
Windows.

Users appear to want the same bloated software on their netbooks as on
their desktops when what most really want is the same core
functionality as the desktop equivalent but without the bloat that
nobody uses. What should have happened is that netbooks had a selection
of Lite versions that were compatible with their desktop equivalents.
(Sufficiently compatible that selected users can upgrade selected apps
to the full version without needing the entire OS - kinda like running
some GNOME apps under XFCE as I do on my notebook running Emdebian
Grip.)

Instead, what happens is that MS cannot scale down so the hardware has
to scale up, defeating the original objective.

--

Neil Williams