Re: [LUG] accounts software for linux

Paul Sutton wrote:
> I have now added some of these to the Wiki.
>
> Paul

I have not accessed  LUG Wiki (Do not know how to!)

However it is the lack of Accounting software capable of correct VAT
records in OpenSource that stops the adoption of FOSS Gnu/Linux by small
businesses.
Sets such a smb-ledger /sql-ledger /Quasar are only of use if started
from scratch as input from existing systems MS Windows based are
extremely difficult.
I found sql-ledger  and Quasar almost imposable to set up in SuSe.
However personal accounts or USA based tax accounts can be easily dealt
with by GnuCash, with Kmoney ok for personal accounts.
I keep MS Windows systems for accounts for a number of charities and
self. (Quickbooks - albeit it cannot in 2008 version handle Euro!)also
back up set with MS SBA (now abandoned!)and others over the years.
GnuCash is capable of being set up to handle UK VAT, (the biggest
difficulty with USA based accounts software)but I could find no one
using it, for an example chart of accounts

Refer : > http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linuxacct.html

a 2005 review comment is probably still valid
"> It is not uncommon to find hard-core Linux users keeping a Windows box
 just to run Quicken or QuickBooks. " Or Sage?

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
 If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.