Re: [LUG] New MiniITX Atom board (and sods law)

On 23/12/2009 08:11, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

That looks like a nice board though - only one PCIe x1 slot, so potentially limited in terms of expansion, but for a workstation it's probably just fine.

The idea is it'll go in the kids PC, they don't do much on their PC at the moment, mainly watching videos (standard definition videos) and playing music. I don't even let them go on the net unsupervised (if they want to browse the internet they do it in the living room). So I dare say this sort of thing would be ideal. I'm hoping to get a couple of USB DVB-T sticks too but I'm sure the Atom will be able to handle decoding standard definition video okay :-)

That board only has SATA ports - are there any DVD (or even CD-ROM!) drives using SATA yet?

Gordon

Yep, in fact it's harder to get IDE drives now. Their existing PC is just SATA.

Rob