Re: [LUG] 21CN

Gordon Henderson wrote:

The next big push is fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and that will be a fore-runner to FTTP (Fibre to the Premises). FTTC will enable things like 5Mb SDSL to then be delivered - again, depending on distance from the cabinet - and in most urban areas you're usually no more than 1-200m from your nearest cabinet - how this will work in the backwaters of beyond is anyones guess.

I have been wondering about that for some time.  Around here there must
be hundreds of phone lines over quite a large area and 3km+ from the
exchange which go straight back to the exchange itself, or perhaps to a
cabinet little more than a couple of hundred metres from the exchange.
Doubtless we'll just miss out on the whole FTTC thing altogether.

James