[LUG] cannot enter via keyboard

I was trying to update my laptop, with mandriva 2010. This was no good
as it had random freezing. So I tried other distros, openSUSE, kubuntu,
ubuntu and so on.

When I use a live disk all is fine. However when I install the distro I
end up with the mouse working but not able to enter any text. This does
not always happen, sometimes keyboard entry works, but mostly not.

I've tried resetting to defaults in the bios, but no joy.

Any ideas?

Simon