Re: [LUG] Recommending GNU/Linux

I had fun trying to explain to people at work that despite DVDs working on their home PCs, laptops and Macs, the won't play on their work computers (be default)... Because the company decided to get Vista Business licences.

Grant

-- Sent from my Palm PrÄ

Paul Sutton wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:
> On 13/12/2009 11:20, Terry Hill wrote:
>>> So yeah, things could screw up on Linux, but they also do screw up on
>>> Windows, it just seems that it happening on Windows is more
>>> acceptable to some.

Could be the way Linux is portrayed, at least at a face to face meeting
we can try and explain that Linux is not a fix all super solution, It
works, and people may have problems,

As it was pointed out, dvd's don't work out of the box, well there is
a reason for this, at least at a meeting we can explain this. Its hard
to explain once someone has installed it and found something like this
does not work, it works in windows (probably cos it had windows + the
appropriate softare when it was bought.

>> This is probably more psychology than anything else. I've tried to
>> get a few people into Linux, and if there's been a problem "this damn
>> linux has screwed my computer up". The same people having a problem
>> with windows would say "my computer has gone wrong, can you fit it?".
>> Could be an identical issue in both situations, but the perception is
>> different.
>>

> Yep exactly. I'm not sure if it's because when things go wrong in
> Windows they can take it to a multitude of 'experts' to get it fixed
> (and I'd say maybe 50% of these experts aren't really experts, more
> 'magazine certified' as one of my old bosses used to put it) where as
> with Linux, there aren't as many people out there who are clued up
> (although on the other hand, there is support available from the LUG).
>
> Rob

Provided people know about the Lug, Once the new site is sorted out, I
would recommend, we have a page for meetings (which will exist anyway)
and also another page with useful venues.

So Paignton is sorted with several venues.
Penzance computers is also a place where people can go and find people
associated with the lug

The two can then be cross referenced in some way.

If other members can perhaps list a local pub, cafe or whatever, which
they use on a regular basis, and give details such as, Even a local
library.

Address / Opening times
Parking
Food
Drinks
Wifi / Internet
Child friendly

Then perhaps we can generate something where if someone has a problem or
just wants to chat, a member can go on to that page, click say
Penzance, (or where ever is nearest to them) and then get a name and
address of somewhere that a lug member is connected to (even if they
just go for a drink once a week).

We then become slowly become a more co-ordinated support network.

Once we can establish where people "hang out" so to speak, then it
increases the chance of people being able to just arrange a quick face
to face meet / drink + chat.

Just a thought

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
The December meeting of the DCLUG will now take place on the SECOND
Saturday in December. This is December 12th 2009.