Re: [LUG] Free postcode database!

Rob Beard wrote:
On 09/12/2009 09:00, Gordon Henderson wrote:

About about time too, since we taxpayers paid for it!!!

Gordon

Would this only happen though if Labour were still in power after the next election?

Rob

Well yes - there are FLOSS type attempts at making free postcode/location DB's so the monopolistic one is loosing value so it will be a drain on the taxpayer and there are no lobbying bribes to be taken for selling it on. Keep it 'inhouse' and sell a bit of advertising? This is a prime example of what the consumer can do with FLOSS and the freedoms it offers in general. Offer up the FLOSS alternative and then business will either have to match it or give up. If we could get the 'free?' mutual bank nearly going most of the other banks would have to match it - the ability to offer the competition will bring down prices.
Tom te tom te tom