Re: [LUG] New server

> Now what to do with the old server, once it is fully decommissioned?

The server itself isn't powerful enough to do much for me any more and
it's far too noisy (and power hungry) to be put outside a server room
- where it will be completely outclassed by any other machine in the
rack.

I've kept lots of old machines in the past but each time I've ended up
with something that I cannot really use properly - and then finally
some small bit of hardware fails, it's not available any longer from new
and the rest of the box is too old to be mixed with new hardware.

Case in point is my Pentium 1 90MHz box that I bought new with Windows
3.1 on it and which I "upgraded" to Win95 First ed before it finally
received Debian Sarge. It made it to Etch before the fan failed and I
tried a couple of AT fans (not ATX) before they failed too (all the AT
fans are basically the same age as the one that failed).

A variety of machines will not be going with me when I move house next
time. The old LUG server is one and that Pentium1 is another, there's
probably two or three others that will go too. (Even a CRT monitor
and an ancient laptop). It's time to downsize my electronics.

--

Neil Williams