[LUG] Drupal6 test site

The new server has allowed some experimentation with the website -
namely drupal6.

I've created a couple of distinct roles and others may follow - e.g.
some users are admins (only Simon Waters and myself currently), some
users can be 'writers' for content pages, some users can have blogs
('blogger' roles) - 'writer' and 'blogger' can be combined. Some users
will just be "authenticated users" who have limited edit permissions.
Only a handful of existing LUG members have so far been ported to the
test site and it's currently configured to not allow new accounts to be
created without permission from an admin. Those requesting/given
'blogger' roles will be able to use blog client software like drivel to
create their blog posts offline. Syndication feeds of internal blog
posts is provided by default but using the test site as a syndication
of other feeds (i.e. as another planet) from outside the site is not
enabled.

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6/

Those who do have test accounts created will be notified using the
email address listed in the Members Area database and the new account
will use the same username and the same password as the current Members
Area - unlike the Members Area, you will be able to change these values
*but* if users abuse this privilege by choosing irreverent, rude or
offensive usernames or obviously dumb passwords, those users will find
themselves deleted and/or blocked. (Drupal does warn about your
password strength and I'd advise that anyone considering changing their
password uses the drupal support to strengthen the existing password
using recommendations from drupal). Drupal also supports OpenID.

If the tests work out and if the site starts to gain some of the content
from the existing site, I'll add all current members who have posted to
the DCGLUG mailing list in December 2009 and who have a current login
for the existing Members Area before enabling the creation of new
accounts without prior admin permission. Those who already use drupal
elsewhere or those who have a particular desire to create content on
the new site should ask to be given 'writer' privileges. Nobody
except admins will be given permission to enter PHP content via drupal
and even admins are requested not to do so.

In order to retain the same general look and feel as the current site
and the mailing list archive pages, only one drupal theme is supported.
(It would be strange to have a different theme for drupal content from
the mailing list archive and the archive cannot be imported into drupal
itself.)

Not everything on the current site can be ported to drupal - some of
what we have shouldn't migrate at all (e.g. the broken GnuPG support).
The rest of the content can and should be reorganised within a drupal
setup. As the test site develops, we'll have to see what else needs to
be done.

For now, until you get an invite to the test site, continue to update
the existing Wiki as before.

Now is the time to ensure that the email address listed in the Members
Area is correct - it is NOT necessarily the same as the address used by
the mailing list.

As ever, if problems arise, email one of the admins - either via the
drupal site or direct - rather than posting to this mailing list.

--

Neil Williams