Re: [LUG] Worse than "Recursion occurred"

Unlucky. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I think email is terrible
anyway. It's so insecure. We need to invent something better. Or just
use the things already out there (eg PM, identi.ca)

2009/12/4 Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Thought I'd send postmaster email to my google account whilst I migrated
> email server settings. Thinking it would make it easy to read any error
> messages.
>
> Except I'd made a silly oversight with the chroot config (doh).
>
> So that when I switched the address, got email almost working, and then
> sent an email, it barfed, sending an email to Postmaster.
>
> Google forwarded this to me, which caused it to issue a "4xx" message
> deferring the message, and sending ANOTHER email to Google telling me
> something was wrong with the email config.
>
> Now google has 2 emails to postmaster to deliver, and when they failed,
> it gets sent 2 more emails saying something is wrong with the config,
> making 4.
>
> 4 deliveries, 4 deferrals, and 4 more emails to Postmaster.
>
> I think you can see where this is going....
>
> 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 8 .....
>
> Thankfully conforming email systems back off, so that exponential growth
> is translated to something more linear. I figured out the mistake in a
> few minutes, and I think I've stopped getting error messages from Google.
>
> When I saw the log messages I thought I'd created a simple mail loop.
> But no it had the potential to be much worse.
>
> I guess the moral is make sure that the Postmaster account is either
> local, or working, when fiddling with email.
>
> --

Dan Dart
_____
Need a website? Want some music tailored to you? Visit http://www.dandart.co.uk