Re: [LUG] Monitoring another machine's network traffic

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:59:55 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Hm. it's a bit verbose, isn't it?

I don't know... is it?

> All you really need to get going is one line:
>
>    server  uk.pool.ntp.org

OK, I've reduced my ntp.conf file to the above line and only the above
line.

> And you can list that 2 or 3 times as 'uk.pool.ntp.org' is several
> machines. The rest of the file is config flab.
>
> Once it's going with the basics, then you can add in the other stuff,
> if you need. Most of it is about premissions and logging, but lets
> face it, you'll never read the log-files and you're behind a
> firewall...

The intention is to find out how frequently a specific device queries
an NTP server - running my own and making the device in question query
my NTP server should allow me to establish this information... so I
probably will check the log files after a few days.

Reducing the ntp.conf file to the above seems to have worked as I can
now issue a "ntpdate -q 192.168.1.251" command from another Linux box
and it works.

Now to figure out how to monitor this traffic... I'm thinking ntop
might be the answer to this one.

Grant.