Re: [LUG] FTP Backups and XP

rich@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All

On Wednesday 18/11/2009 at 9:11 am, Neil Stone wrote:
It can be done with external apps only.

-----Original Message-----
From: rich@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 18 November 2009 06:50
To: list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LUG] FTP Backups and XP

Hi All

Does anyone know of a distro or programme that will allow me to set up
an ftp backup system. I want to be able to grab data (documents and
settings) from a users computer and upload this to an ftp server.

If this is not possible I can automate the backup to go from XP to a
Linux distro and from there to the ftp backup.

I want to automate as much as possible.

Thanks for the replies from everyone. The ftp is very external (located in Bodmin, we're in Lostwithiel). I am concerned because our current system is trying to back up during the night and not getting it done! So I was hoping to automate as much as possible at the weekend.

The programme that was suggested to me allows backup locally. Maybe it would be better to back up locally at say 6pm everyday. Locally it would be fast and then use Linux to then sync by ftp from 7pm and overnight. What sync programme would you recommend please (gui if possible). Thanks

Rich

I'd suggest you look at SFTP or maybe rsync for secure connections if it's an external server over the internet.

How much data are you talking about?

Rob