Re: [LUG] Forums

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, John Williams wrote:

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 09:03 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Most fall into the trap of being big and therefore prone to having
security holes, (see earlier messages :) but things have come a long way
recently. vBulletin is commercial, but very well supported and I've not
had a hack on the ones I run for a long time now. phpBB was riddled with
holes for a very long time, but I understand the later ones are much
better and secure, and free...

I think I read very recently that people were very, very upset with
vBulletin developers so it might not be the best wagon to jump on right
now. Some new company bought out the software and appears to be making a
cock up of charging more and banning people not only off support forums,
but from getting updates they are licensed for, they don't even seem to
have been rude, just not supportive of the New Way Of Doing Thing that
the new owners have decided on now. Banning people from a forum is one
thing, but stopping them getting updates they are licensed for is waaaay
beyond reasonable.

Certainly something to have a look into before parting with cash.

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about that:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/28/vbulletin_controversy/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/30/vbulletin_defends_forum_bans/

Loots like a bit of a mess...