Re: [LUG] dansguardian

Simon Waters wrote:
Paul Sutton wrote:
I found instructions but they looked kind of complex,  if we expect end
users to do this, they won't,  if we install ubuntu on a family pc it
would help to have some sort of content filtering.

Blacking listing will always be incomplete, and content filtering is too
error prone, it will block good stuff you may want your children to see,
and not block bad stuff you might prefer to restrict.

Whitelisting is probably the right approach for small children, although
not foolproof as content on sites can change, and you might trust a
third party to whitelist whose judgement you later disagree with. I
think logging is probably the right approach for bigger kids, if you
can't supervise them. Of course one has to read the logs to make it a
credible  deterrent.

Best whitelisting add-on for a family desktop is probably Glubble, which
comes with a load of prepared whitelists, and allows children to request
access to other sites not already covered.

I don't think it is free software, and it combined a Firefox extension
with an online service, so even if it were there would be non-free data
and possibly services.

Not sure if I'll restrict Isaac's web surfing habits, but if I did
Glubble would be what I would compare things to.

 Simon

I've found the default install of Dansguardian on my 12yr old's Ubuntu to work well. I've had to whitelist some sites but in general, the defaults cover all that needs covering. The proxy settings in FF are hidden away well enough for him (as a user) but armed with a bit of knowledge, it would be easy to bypass - he has the default user settings for a new Ubuntu user (ie sudo access) - I could restrict this even further but currently haven't needed to.

Having recently upgraded him to Karmic though it's all stopped working. It looks like tinyproxy has a problem though I haven't looked into it too much as yet.

When originally setting this up I found it easy enough but I agree it wouldn't be straight forward for your average computer user. A GUI would be very welcome on this front.

Martin