Re: [LUG] Lamp e-mail config

tom wrote:
Just wondering if there's a 10 line howto somewhere on how to set up postfix so PHP can send mail to it so I can receive mail with Thunderbird all on the one machine for LAMP development.

Don't change postfix and it should just work ;)

Postfix is a drop-in sendmail replacement so either /usr/lib/sendmail or just use PHP settings to connect on localhost port 25.

You'll need localhost in mynetworks in Postfix for that interface, but that is the default Postfix config anyway.

i.e. If it doesn't "just work" you probably broke it.

Most of our servers have something like:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

In /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

Which I assume is the magic bit that glues PHP to whatever email system is in use, in this case anything listening on port 25 on localhost, so pretty much an Linux MTA default settings. The Win32 comment seems spurious and is the Debian default, and I detest the /usr/lib/sendmail interface with a vengeance.

 Simon