[LUG] Gmail SMTP failin

Really annoying problem - SMTP for GMail is failing when I use ClawsMail.

I don't really like Thunderbird, Evolution, etc - I've used ClawsMail and SylpheedClaws, and Sylpheed before that and I'm in no hurry to change my preferred email client just because.

I have decided to move my mail to Google Apps to alleviate the need to run my own mail server for personal email.

I am using Google Mail's IMAP absolutley fine - IMAP/SSL connection on 993 to imap.gmail.com works a treat.  It's the SMTP that's causing a headache.  SMTP with TLS (as opposed to SMTP/SSL) on either 465/587 to smtp.gmail.com, however, fails.

I get this in ClawsMail's Network Log, and pretty much the same on the console when run from a commandline:

* Connecting to SMTP server: smtp.googlemail.com ...
[16:53:37] SMTP< 220 mx.google.com ESMTP n12sm9300057gve.6
[16:53:37] ESMTP> EHLO hplaptop
[16:53:37] ESMTP< 250-mx.google.com at your service, [91.85.195.142]
[16:53:37] ESMTP< 250-SIZE 35651584
[16:53:37] ESMTP< 250-8BITMIME
[16:53:37] ESMTP< 250-STARTTLS
[16:53:37] ESMTP< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
[16:53:37] ESMTP< 250 PIPELINING
** SMTP AUTH not available
[16:53:37] ESMTP> STARTTLS
[16:53:37] ESMTP< 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
** couldn't start TLS session
*** Error occurred while sending the message.

I have read that Google routinely forget to update their certificates, and they're not updated at the same time so certificate errors can occur if you happen to connect to a different server in their cloud, and that ClawsMail is more prone to problems along those lines unless you enable some "unsafe" options in the config file - which I have done!

What's going on?

Cheers.
Grant (sent from the GMail web-browser interface, which I really don't like using!)