Re: [LUG] Corporate digital emails

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 09:10:57 +0000
Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was therefore really happy when I discovered that The Financial
Ombudsman Service appears to use a product called "PGP Universal Gateway
Email" that overcomes these problems

http://www.pgp.com/products/universal_gateway_email/index.html

- If you upload your key to their server

If you upload your *public* key to their server . . .
(which you created with free software and which doesn't ever cost
anyone anything to use, process, validate or authenticate)

- Pricing appears to be $76/user/year

I was with you all the way to "pricing".

1. Why ?

2. Umm, sorry to be repetitive but, WHY ? This must be someone trying
to repeat the money-spinning scheme that gave us Thawte and Canonical.
Really not sure that works twice.

3. Who gets charged? The user receiving the email? That'll go down
well! Besides, it's not even a micro-payment, it's a potentially
significant annual bill!

4. Those who have paid up are welcome to it. Those who have some common
sense . . . .

NO! Once you allow some information highway robbery it will become endemic.
They are providing NOTHING to either end, and if anything reducing security.
Tom te tom te tom