Re: [LUG] A open/closed freedom fight

2009/10/24 Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius@xxxxxxxxx>

> there are significant numbers of
others who know nothing of development, open source etc and have been
led up the path that open source is bad and opens up hacking and
greifing and content theft.

Its this that grinds me most, that miss-information

Ah yes.  The Creationist antivaccinationist 9/11 conspiracy global cooling homeoepathic lying republican axis.

Make lists.
Those who assert these things as a secondary source; and from that, by delicate enquiry, those who asserted it as a primary source.

Determine the affiliation if any of the primary - or upstream - sources.

Alarmingly often there seems to be no affiliation or rational interest behind these things, but sometimes it becomes apparent where the fountain of crap is.

Make or point to an FAQ.  It needn't be of the size of Talk.Origins Archive and much of the material should already exist.

You might point the GNU Foundation at the blog, for a philosophical background, but it would perhaps be useful to do so with some organised information.

My assumption about SL is that the flying penises are probably not open source, and I'd expect the weirder nastiness to be trade secrets, but if anyone produced an actual example of anything inn the argument it would be possible to investigate that and perhaps determine it.

I doubt that would really attract the enthusiasm of those arguing against FLOSS.
--
Adrian Midgley   http://www.defoam.net/