Re: [LUG] Acer Aspire One - Dead, but fixable ...

I upgraded the memory to 1.5 gig on one, difficult to take apart and even harder to put back together again

--- On Fri, 23/10/09, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LUG] Acer Aspire One - Dead, but fixable ...
To: "Devon/Cornwall GNU LUG" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, 23 October, 2009, 8:19 AM

My AAO died the other day - a mechanical issue to do with the power connector - so it works, but I can't plug in the power lead to charge it!

Have taken it to bits - followed some video I found on the interweb and it's now in several large bits and lots of small screws... The clever bit was using a credit card to pop the case apart rather than lever it with a big screwdriver - doesn't leave any marks that way!

One discovery - there is a SODIM socket under the motherboard - I can upgrade the RAM from 512MB to a GB or so, and I may well do that, although that would mean waiting until Monday to get the bit.. Hmmm.. According to the video I watched, it's also possible to fit an internal bluetooth module, but I've never really needed that, so will give it a miss. There is also space on the motherboard for a sim-card reader and a GSM device with a slot in the back behind the battery to push the SIM card through - internal mobile-data laptop, anyone?

The power connector on the motherboard has broken - the bit which holds the central pin is the broken part, so some superglue and solder will fix it back, hopefully.

The video I watched to help me take it to bits is from this article:

http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/modding-the-acer-aspire-one-bluetooth/

Gordon

-- The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG