Re: [LUG] Debian 5 Network install, boot from floppy

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of sorting out an old laptop for a friend. It's a few years old and the DVD drive doesn't work on it. It also doesn't support booting from USB and the network adaptor is a Xircom PCMCIA card which isn't supported by either Etherboot or gPXE.

Now I'm a bit stuck. I can boot from floppy no problem, I've even tried booting Grub which works, but then Grub (at least Grub version 1) doesn't see the USB stick I have attached to the machine (I figured if I can boot grub, I can then boot the kernel from a USB stick). That however doesn't work.

I've done a bit of searching and found that Debian 4 has a couple of floppy boot images, I wondered though if there was anything for Debian 5? (I'd rather not install Debian 4 then Debian 5 over the top of it).

Looks like they may have dropped floppy support... I have a USB CD-ROM drive if you think it would boot off that?

Gordon
http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm
Tom te tom te tom