Re: [LUG] google wave

> I’m yet to use it, but I have to admit I don’t see the point — it seems
> to be a solution in search of a problem.

It looks like a solution for a problem that was solved a long time
ago.  It looks like me to be a "closed" facebook - eg that specific
groups might use.  For instance, the dc-hardware group might find it
useful to share ideas, circuit diagrams - and even to manage a
specific project.  Say for instance we wanted to develop our own
prototyping system based on a specific processor - the messages from
dc-hardware (on my system) get delivered to my google mailbox.  They
get mixed in with all the dc-lug messages as well as all my other
email.  It's messy.  I "lose" messages in amongst it, forget what I've
read, real life comes along and suddenly I've got two essays to write
and what I was talking about last week gets buried.  Now I know I can
sort the messages into folders, tag them and all that jazz, but wave
*might* be a way (for me) to interact with the dc-hardware folks in a
way that I can "pick it back up" when I have time for it.

There are a *ton* of similar systems put together to do this - so you
*could* mark this solved and say "whats the point".  And I'm halfway
into this camp at the moment - but - I'd still like to give it a whirl
with a few like minded people.

I guess until you start clicking and dragging you don't really get a
feel for how a system works.  Most collaberative systems I've seen are
clunky as hell and force you to work in specific ways - forums, crm's
etc.  Other systems that are used for collaberation were never
designed to work specifically for groups to collaberate, but seem to
do ok in that role - listserv, email for example.