Re: [LUG] Great Plug for Linux

Paul Sutton wrote:

T Brownen wrote:
The following found on the Register.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/14/microsoft_windows_bank_thefts/

What a great plug for Linux
Trevor

Yep, i do all my banking online now, the article says
"True, there's no way to know your Mac or Linux machine isn't compromised,"

There are tools that do this for you,  however,  if using a live cd then
it's probably not an issue.

But it does highlight a good point regarding security.

Paul

Only problem is if your bank only supports Internet Explorer. I read another article on The Inquirer which talked about an Australia's Computer Crime Investigation Unit and the Washington Post both recommending using a live CD such as Ubuntu or Puppy Linux.

Article is here: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1558597/avoid-windows-online-banking

Does anyone know of any banks that don't support browsers other than Internet Explorer (or the other annoying 'feature' of not supporting any OS other than Windows regardless of what browser you're using)?

Might be a good idea to get in touch with Chris at Refresh Cartridges, he may be interested in doing an article about online banking on Linux Live CDs. Also might be a good way of getting some more Linux out there, for instance giving out free copies of Ubuntu and Puppy Linux.

Rob

Rob