Re: [LUG] Yum equiv of apt-pinning?

Quoting tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
Hi All,

In Debian I can "pin" packages to set versions/repos using /etc/apt/preferences (or something like that!)

Is there a way of doing the same thing for Redhat/CentOS?

Thanks,

Matt.
Yum doesn't support that per se - but what you could do is write a
dummy package that needs that version only and install that.

I'm trying to avoid maintaining my own packages where ever possible, otherwise I'd be tempted to setup my own repo and compile all the packages I need to ensure they are the latest versions.

The aim was to use Puppet[0] for package management with something along the lines of "ensure=>latest" for all packages except the kernel and a few others. I was going to use the equivalent of pinning to have a central file managed by puppet to push out changes in version once they have been tested fully in our dev environment.

Is there a better solution to this in Redhat/CentOS that anyone knows of?

And unleash the dogs of war....

Indeed...or "RPM Hell" as I believe it's known... :P

M.
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx