Re: [LUG] Favourite web-based something-managers?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:04:29 +0100
Paul Sutton wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just a quick round-up really.  I'm looking to add various features
> > to my webserver to make my life easier.  I was wondering what you
> > peeps use for the following:
> >
> > + Bookmark management
> >
> > I'm currently using Google's bookmark thingy (with the iGoogle
> > gadget) but I'm not particularly impressed with it - it seems that
> > unless I use the Google Toolbar, adding new bookmarks is quite
> > arduous.  I have installed Sitebar but, again, I'm not impressed
> > with it - it looks awful and, again, unless I add the bookmarklet
> > to every browser I'm going to come in contact with, adding new
> > bookmarks seems tedious.
> >
> > Ideally I'd like something where I can copy a URL/URI, open a new
> > tab and go to http://mysite/bookmarks, paste in the copied URL/URI
> > into a big bar at the top of the page and click add - it'll then do
> > the magic of getting the page title, favicon, etc, and saving it to
> > a list. Being able to manage the bookmarks at a later stage
> > (putting them into a hierarchy of folders, say) would be good, but
> > is not vital.
> >
> > I'd like to run this on my own server rather than subscribing to
> > some other "online bookmark service".  The vast majority of things
> > I've come across either seem to be standalone applications or
> > require an extra application or toolbar to do anything useful.
> > Sitebar seems to be the closest I've come across, but it's so
> > ugly! :D
> >
> > + Password management
> >
> > I'd like to be able to login to a web-based password manager on my
> > server.  Once logged in, being able to search/browse for things
> > and having the passwords hidden unless I type in a "master"
> > password.
> >
> > As above, I'd like to run this on my own machine rather than trust
> > my data to someone else by subscribing to an "online password
> > service".
> >
> > I'm sure there are other things I'd like to be doing as well, and
> > if/when I think of them I'll add them to this.
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Grant. :)
> >
> Could you add it to the Wiki please.  This is current a software
> section, so I would guess you can add a web-based catagory and list
> under that.
>
> Paul

Anyone got any idea on this one?  I'm sticking with SiteBar for the
time being for bookmarking but I'm still a little short on password
managers.  There seem to be plenty that run on other people's servers,
but I would really rather host it myself.

Cheers.
Grant.