Re: [LUG] wowsa four cores for £76

Paul Sutton wrote:

M.Blackmore wrote:
On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 09:19 +0100, tom wrote:
4 cores 2.Ghz 512K cache per core!
Given the performance of a simple SODDING SET OF 4 WEB PAGES!! on my
2x2ghz core2duo, looks like these chips will be minimum spec for running
more than 2 windows on firefox or internet explorer in a couple of
months.

Web developers have gone collectively insane. My wife and daughter's
2.8ghz single chip machines are virtually unuseable unless that
flashkiller thingy is operating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

buy windows 7 and those 4 cores may not be supported even if you do fork
out on the most expensive version

or am I getting processors and cores mixed up,

Paul

It's physical CPUs, or sockets rather than cores.

I think what Microsoft are thinking is that anyone who is running Windows 7 Home Premium (or lower) is unlikely to be running a dual socket system (such as an AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon) hence Windows 7 Premium, Enterprise and Ultimate (the versions aimed at either people who want/need the extra features, or businesses) are more likely to be running workstation class machines (i.e. something with more than one socket and a workstation/server class CPU).

If you want any more than 2 physical processors (sockets) then the only option is Windows Server 2008.

Rob