Re: [LUG] sshfs new file permissions

Simon Williams wrote:
Hi everyone.
I've been using sshfs for a few weeks, and have just realised that it's been creating all my files with permissions 600 or 700. This is not helpful when I'm editing websites!

I tried the umask option to sshfs, but that did completely the wrong thing.

Isn't umask AND'd to the permissions - i.e. a umask of 022  will result in permissions set to 755 - i.e. take umask away from 999.

Kev

After reading some mailing list postings it turns out that sshfs' umask option works in the same way as most non-native filesystems like vfat and ntfs- that is, it sets the locally displayed permissions on all the files.

However, I haven't been able to find a setting to change the default permissions for new files (I'm also skeptical as to what will happen if I try creating files in directories with setGID bits set, or with ACLs, but that's an aside). The umask on the remote machine is set to 022, which is what I want sshfs to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Simon

--
Kevin Bailey
Director/Programmer - Freeway Projects Limited