Re: [LUG] Linux on SPARC

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:33:37 +0100
Simon Waters wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> >
> > I have just inherited a Sun SunBlade 1000 machine.  It would seem
> > that it uses the UltraSPARC III CPU.  This would be my first outing
> > into the non x86 world.  We are looking to setup 3 virtual machines
> > on this box.  I'm happy to setup Debian as the base system (Debian
> > still actively supports the SPARC/SPARC64 arch. doesn't it?) but
> > the guys for whom this machine is being setup have asked for a
> > RedHat/Fedora type system installed on the virtual machines.
>
> What is the reason for not using Solaris?

No reason other than unfamiliarity.  I have downloaded Solaris 10 and
OpenSolaris.  Other than "zones", what virtualisation technology does
Open/Solaris support?  Can RedHat-type Linux systems be installed into
them?  Obviously not in "zones" (I am right in thinking that only other
instances of Solaris can be run in a Solaris zone?).

Grant.