Re: [LUG] Linux on SPARC

Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

I have just inherited a Sun SunBlade 1000 machine.  It would seem that
it uses the UltraSPARC III CPU.  This would be my first outing into the
non x86 world.  We are looking to setup 3 virtual machines on this
box.  I'm happy to setup Debian as the base system (Debian still
actively supports the SPARC/SPARC64 arch. doesn't it?) but the guys for
whom this machine is being setup have asked for a RedHat/Fedora type
system installed on the virtual machines.

Anybody got any pointers on running virtual machines on a non-x86
Debian box?  What would be the best way to go about it?  Know of any
recent RedHat-type systems that still actively support SPARCs?

Cheers.
Grant. :)

Doing a very quick search, it appears OpenVZ supports Sparc on Debian. Not used it though so I can't comment on how good it is. Link to the very brief wiki page is here: http://wiki.openvz.org/Sparc

Rob