Re: [LUG] Linux on SPARC

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:

Hi all,

I have just inherited a Sun SunBlade 1000 machine.  It would seem that
it uses the UltraSPARC III CPU.  This would be my first outing into the
non x86 world.  We are looking to setup 3 virtual machines on this
box.  I'm happy to setup Debian as the base system (Debian still
actively supports the SPARC/SPARC64 arch. doesn't it?) but the guys for
whom this machine is being setup have asked for a RedHat/Fedora type
system installed on the virtual machines.

Anybody got any pointers on running virtual machines on a non-x86
Debian box?  What would be the best way to go about it?  Know of any
recent RedHat-type systems that still actively support SPARCs?

I put Linux (Debian) on an Ultra 5 - some years back - 6 or 7? I couldn't afford the power to run it though...

I also had 2 x Enterprise 2 servers and 2 Ultra 60's - both dual CPU with 4GB of RAM - then were the beasts to have in them days. Never actually got round to putting Linux on them before giving them away. Too scard to actually plug them in & watch my electric meter spin of the wall...

Personally I think you'll find it cheaper and faster (and uses less power) to go out and buy a nice core-2 duo box and be done with it... (but where's the fun in that ;-)

Good luck...

Gordon