[LUG] How To Build a Cheap Petabyte Server

Hi folks,

I thought some of you might find this interesting. It's an article about how a company who provide online backup storage created their own custom servers using off the shelf parts and Debian 4 to create a petabyte server.

According to the company, it cost them about $117,000 (about £70,000) to create a petabyte (1000TB) storage solution compared to the next cheapest option from Dell costing $826,000 (about £495,000).

The article can be found here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30922/79/

It talks about how they built a 'pod' using off the shelf components (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, Intel Motherboard, PCI & PCI Express Raid Cards and Seagate 1.5TB SATA hard drives) with a custom case. They managed to get 67TB (about 58TB useable) per pod.

I found it to be interesting stuff although I dare say that although the LUG could probably replicate something like this, I guess it wouldn't be as exciting using a load of old 10GB hard drives and a Pentium 3 motherboard :-)

Rob