Re: [LUG] OT: Arduinos (was OT: Hacker Groups)

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

Terry Hill wrote:
This is the one I ordered, seems it was £13.99 not £12.99 (unless he put his prices up).

http://www.nuelectronics.com/estore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1 <http://www.nuelectronics.com/estore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1>

It arrived two days after I placed the order using the standard mail option. I get the idea that it's a single chap or a small business, the board itself looks home soldered but works flawlessly and it's got a better solder job than I'd have done so I'm happy to buy from "him" for now. As you can see, it's a 100% clone of the "official" 168 boards with the usb & jumper pin. At some point I'd like a pop at making my own, but I'd like to get the hang of etching first having never tried it.
Even at £14 it's pretty reasonable. I see they do other stuff too such as the colour LCD screen. Hmmm... I'm starting to wonder if I can interface this to a small low power Linux box to use as a glorified MP3 player for my car. Okay maybe I should just get a kit and make some LEDs flash first :-)

If you've got a low-powered Linux box, why not just use that to play MP3's?

Well I was thinking of having something with a space which would fit in the dash. Although saying that I've just found some instructions on how to build an interface to connect to my existing Sony stereo to emulate a CD changer so I can use the AUX inputs (it needs a CD changer connected to accept an input being an old car stereo).
And if you want something to go in a car - with display:

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11290

without:

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10858

Not the cheapest of boxes though.

Not sure if they'd fit in my car dash.  At least without a bit of hacking.
I was reading up on etching boards. Seems fairly simple (I did a bit of etching PCBs at school) but I'd be a bit worried about all the chemicals. I mean for starters how do you dispose of used chemicals?

Dilute them with (more) water and pour down the toilet and flush a few times... At least thats what I used to do in my youth...

These things are simple DIL packages, so veroboard construction ought to be fairly easy - that's what I'd probably be tempted with doing if I weren't buying something ready-built.

Gordon
Yeah you have a point. I'll have to buy a new soldering iron and have a play (probably while the wife is out so I don't get nagged about the mess).

Rob