Re: [LUG] Laptopo as test bed

------- Original message -------
From: Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 6.9.'09,  12:30

I use kubuntu which is updated every six months. Since I don't really
trust upgrades I usually just do a new install whenever I decide to
upgrade. (Which is not every six months by the way. More like every 18
months.)This means messing about with transferring backups to the new
install and lots of playing around with the new version to get it as I
like. Plus some aggro from daughter about missing files.

Anyway, although I do not like them, I am considering getting a laptop
as a sort of test bed. I can then install the latest version and play
around with it to see if I am going to like it or not before committing
to it. All of this without causing any problems with my current version.
And I might even get to like laptops!!

Since I know so little about what is out there I am looking for some
advice such as

would a refurbished (and so cheaper) laptop be a sensible option?

are there any makes to avoid?

are there any makes to seriously consider?

any recommendations gratefully received

Thanks

Neil

What in particular do you dislike about laptops? Also, could you not just dual boot two installations of kubuntu on the same machine?