Re: [LUG] Podcasts and Mplayer | VLC

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 14:47 +0100, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Just discovered the joy of podcasts: that allow me to catch up on
> current affairs while driving / cutting the $%^&& grass etc
>
> Radio 4 with mplayer I have found a process that works. In short
>
>       - go to the bbc iplayer site and find your program
>       - go http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk/convert.aspx and enter the
>         PID
>       - Take the resulting link and add it to the following (all on one
>         line)
>               mplayer -cache 2048 -bandwidth 9999999
>                "rtsp://...........................................ra"
>                 -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=filename.wav
>       - Convert to ogg eg
>               oggenc -q1 filename.wav
>
> In reading around, VLC should automate the whole process: directly read
> the radio show (this it does) and then convert the stream directly to
> ogg or mp3 or whatever
>
> (I tried with mplayer but could not get that to work; hence this mplayer
> command line script that I found on the ubuntu forums)
>
> For some reason however I cannot get VLC to save the stream to my
> hard-drive. VLC does play the stream without any problem.
>
> Can anyone who has used VLC provide any tips? (What is irritating is
> that all the gui looks very simple to understand, I just cannot get it
> to work. The manual is also very explicit but ....)

I stumbled upon this method by accident ( Dont know if it's legal but it
works fine)
Open Audacity
Play any media from the Internet YouTube BBCI player etc
press record on audacity
and the stream is recorded (you can also set a timed record but
obvoiusly you would need a cron to open a browser to a link which
started playing)

I first had trouble with audacity just recording 0.5 secs then failing
but setting the sample rate to 48000 fixed it
You can then export your streamed sound file ( after editing out the
bits you don't want) using File/Export
as flac ogg or Mp3
Simples...

Nb I havn't got the hang of VLC yet either.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved repressed(possibly!Definitely!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386